January 23, 2007
OSHAWA -- A coroner's inquest will be held next month, into the death of an Oshawa man who died in November 2005 as the result of a wolf attack in northern Saskatchewan.
Saskatoon's chief coroner said this week the inquiry will be held in Prince Albert in Court of Queen's Bench from Feb. 5-9.
Kenton Carnegie, 22, was working at mining camp near Points North Landing, about 700 kilometres north of Saskatoon. The rugged area is inhabited largely by trappers, hunters and miners and is accessible only by air for most of the year.
A police spokesman at the time said Mr. Carnegie failed to return from a walk on Nov. 5, 2005, prompting others from the camp to search for him. His body was discovered not far from the camp. He had been mauled to death.
According to the CBC, the attack is believed to be the first North American case of a human being killed by healthy wolves in their natural environment. A CBC news investigation revealed that wolves were being attracted to an illegal garbage dump in the area.
The death prompted the Opposition Saskatchewan Party to call for an unregulated dump in the area to be fenced off, but government officials decided to wait for the results of the coroner's report before making a decision.
Mr. Carnegie was a student in his third year of the Geological Engineering Co-Op Program at the University of Waterloo.